Working for Allah by Distributing Literature:
Report by a One-Man Team
Book Distribution to Public Libraries
This is about taking the Qur’an to every home and heart that needs it – and which one does not.
Alhamdulillah, on Friday and Saturday, I was able to distribute a box of our books and booklets to each of the six libraries in our region – altogether 10 so far.
The persons in charge were very courteous and accommodating.
I usually leave a gift of two books and a booklet in a gift bag with a letter for the Supervisor or Chief Librarian. I also make sure I give the Assistant Librarian, Receptionist and Guard a copy of one book and a booklet as gifts.
They all accept them and express their thanks.
If Not a Smile, Why Not a Thank You?
At one particular library I met a Muslim lady in Hijab and thought she would make my job easier.
All the others smiled, but this person was different. I specifically gave her two books instead of one, but she forgot that in Islam “Smiling is Charity.” Or, maybe because being a woman, she felt that was not for her.
But she also forgot to say a simple “Thank You!” Not a word of gratitude from her. It was a bit disappointing. May Allah bless her and the others there!
Special Tables and Shelves for Free Books
In some libraries they have a special table, a few shelves or a large box where they put books for free distribution.
Sometimes they allow me to display the books if there is space available. If not, they promise to display our books as soon as space becomes available.
I promised to resupply them with more books on a periodic basic – every month or so.
Is Book Distribution Part of Working for Allah?
Is distributing books part of “Working for Allah” then?
I have no doubt in my mind that it is. How else will we reach all these wonderful people whom our books give us an automatic introduction to?
And to see their warm response, and to be greeted with the smile of appreciation on their faces, all that is tonic to your soul.
And generally they are quite generous with their words of joy and gratitude too.
Some Special Features of Our Literature
And here is a word about why these books are important. And about what kind of literature it is that we really need in this English-speaking part of the world.
- First of all, the books that we consider to be our literature, mostly or almost all of them books and booklets written by Dr. Pasha, and that we strive to get in the hands of the people on as wide a basis as possible, need to be in clear and well-written language for the average person to understand easily. In fact, they must be such that people can actually enjoy reading them. Otherwise, Islam becomes difficult to understand and it becomes drudgery.
- Then, they must be based on ideas in Allah's Book – the Qur'an – and the sayings and practices of Muhammad's, Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam, the Hadith.
- Then, they must, to the extent they can, embody and reflect valid and established scientific knowledge. For, as Dr. Pasha has repeatedly pointed out, Islam (Qur’an that is) is science done right – with all doubt, error and uncertainty taken out of it.
- Then, these books that we call our literature must also reflect and actually stem from the environment and the cultural, economic, social and political eco-system in which we live – and of which we as well as our readers are generally a part and product.
And it is Allah’s blessing that literature produced by Dr. Pasha in English embodies all these factors to a very significant degree.
Challenges of Distributing Literature
But then, who says Working for Allah – in this case distributing books to public libraries – would be easy? It certainly comes with its own set of challenges.
- Yes, to begin with, you would have the problem of location, especially in a region like ours.
- First you must find the right area, then the street and finally the exact building – generally, after some inquiries from local residents and passers-by.
- Then you must find a parking spot for your car, not too far to carry a heavy box, what with the traffic jams and congestion, especially in the cities.
- And then there is this business of getting lost and driving around the block a few times before you come to the right spot.
- And then there are all those far off places in unfamiliar territory that you have never visited before.
- And don’t forget when rain pours like today when driving was difficult in bumper-to-bumper heavily jammed up traffic. Or – may Allah always protect us – when you nearly run into another vehicle in the blinding downpour.
Problems Cannot Stop Us
Yes, these are problems that may arise along the way. But problems cannot stop us. For, how else can we take the Qur'an to every home and heart that needs it, and which one does not, especially our non-Muslim brothers and sisters, as we have an obligation to do?
For, we have an obligation – each and every one of us does – of calling the non-Muslims to their Maker Allah and to the Truth of Islam.
Making Use of Libraries
For the longest while we spoke about using our libraries where people go to read. And now Allah has opened their doors for us.
Who will grab this blessed opportunity?
To date, we have covered almost half of the libraries in our region. But what about all the other regions? Who will cover them?
And what about replenishing supplies in the future?
Working to Monitor Feedback
And all this is only distribution – without any feedback as yet from the readers and interested others.
What will they say? How will they react? Will they accept or reject our message? Are they generally positive or negative toward it? Or are they totally indifferent?
Well, our job is only to invite people and it is up to Allah to change hearts.
Here Is What We Can Do
If each one of us can service at least one library, then, with the help of Allah, favorable results can come about.
All we have to do is:
- Make up our mind.
- Find the time.
- Then go at it.
It may be a bit daunting when you first start out. But the second time around would not be as difficult, because by then we would know the exact location of our target libraries. And library personnel would have become familiar with us.
What Is in It for Us?
We ask ourselves: What is in it for us, considering some of the difficulties we face in distributing books to libraries across our land?
My answer is: It is the joy and happiness we feel when the library personnel open their arms to us expressing their thanks and appreciation for our donation of books. It is a very personal and a very natural human reaction on our part.
We also feel that those who access the books would benefit a lot from them. And Allah has blessed us to be the instruments for “Taking The Qur’an To Every Home And Heart That Needs It.”
Therefore, let's all say Bismillah and become a part of this Distribution Drive.
Being Steadfast in Working for Allah
May Allah bless us all the time with wonderful new people dedicated to help us – and to do his work! And may he grant us all the resources we need.
And may Allah show us his ways that he promised, when he said, as Dr. Pasha paraphrases:
“Those who are steadfast in working for us, we shall surely show them our ways!”
Walladheena Jaahadoo Feenaa,
And may he give us the health, strength and Tawufeeq to carry on Working for Him.